Saturday, September 28, 2013

For The Love Of Poetry


I know I've said this before, but I am absolutely, 100%, head-over-heels in love the lyrical nature of words. My writing began as a young child with poems and journals, and is still fueled today by these, most intimate forms of writing.

We're coming up on November and this year's National Novel Writer's Month, or "NaNoWriMo" - the time of year when I forget to cook, refuse to clean, and barely interact with other humans...I love this 'all in' kind of process and even now, I can feel a new story stirring.

Last year I wrote 90,000 words over a period of six weeks. Not sure what this year will bring but I know the words are out there, waiting to be extracted, pieced together, tied and linked and brought full-circle.

This poem, by American poet W.S. Merwin, inspires me and speaks to the heart of how I approach writing:


Inside this pencil
crouch words that have never been written
never been spoken
never been taught

they're hiding

they're awake in there
dark in the dark
hearing us
but they won't come out
not for love
not for time
not for fire
even when the dark has worn away
they'll still be there
hiding in the air
multitudes in days to come may walk through them
breathe them
be none the wiser

what script can it be

that they won't unroll

in what language
would I recognize it
would I be able to follow it
to make out the real names
of everything

maybe there aren't many
it could be that there's only one word
and it's all we need
it's here in this pencil

every pencil in the world is like this.

- W.S. Merwin




(...And with any luck, every computer keyboard in the world as well! Wish me luck!)