Wednesday, October 23, 2013

What's On Tap



And no... it's not Guinness although I wish it was! I took that picture in a little coastal town on the west side of Ireland called Dingle. I thought it was hilarious because I'd come to Ireland to drink Guinness and there was an enormous Budweiser tap - presumably for all the Americans, because what European in their right mind who's ever tasted Budweiser would willingly order it? At any rate... I digress - so - what's on tap this fall?

Well, NaNoWriMo starts in just nine days, I've met a new agent, joined a screenwriting group, and am looking forward to new writing projects as well as finishing ones you've all been waiting for.

Truly and Finn has been a project that has taken several twists and turns over the last year or two. For those of you just tuning in, Truly is a story I began serializing here on the blog in installments. People were reading and following along, commenting etc. I stopped posting installments so I could finish the story, and last November during NaNoWriMo I did just that. I planned to publish it and get it out there to readers, but a funny thing happened. I learned that it wasn't just one book.

During that same month of November, I ended up writing another entire book. In fact I wrote over 90,000 words in six weeks' time... the second book telling Finn's story from his perspective, leading up to when they met. It caught me by surprise - Finn's back story, and I became so fascinated by his story that I traveled to Ireland this past April to research it. There's more to the story - much more, and his journey will be ongoing, but then came another question: whether to publish it separately as books 1 and 2 in the series or perhaps put both their stories into one volume.

I chose the latter and have been in the process of sending it out and getting feedback from both agents and readers. That process is not yet complete, I'm sorry to say. I get questions and know many of you have been patiently waiting for a while now, but unfortunately the publishing business is a fairly slow-moving animal - nearly sloth-like, actually :)

All that to say, I haven't forgotten, I am still working and I will have something out just as soon as the publishing Gods give me a green light. Until then, I plan to begin posting another new story in installments very soon!